Sarah's Reviews > Need

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, fantasy-scifi, young-adult
Read from April 10 to 11, 2011

Things I learned about Maine from this book:
1) we all sounds like hicks.
2) Stephen King is the only important contribution we have ever made to society.
3) everything Stephen King writes about is true.
4) it's very cold.
5) only white people live there.

Additionally, if you listen to the audiobook, you get to experience some "wicked" Maine accents (which are not representative of the entire populace of Maine).

I don't really know how I feel about this book. It wasn't terrible. But, damn, Zara is a complete moron. The foreshadowing was less than subtle, let's say. The pixies in this book don't seem all that different from Melissa Marr's faeries. Except THEY HAS THE NEED. Melodramatically, of course.

I totally appreciate what you authors are trying to do, with setting your books in Maine to get our glorious state on people's radars. However, if you will so kindly look at my above list, these are not exactly things that will make people want to visit Maine. And that's not even counting the terrifying pixies that feed on adolescent males and our apparently disproportionate population of were-people. I think this is one of the few times that it's hard for me to separate the setting from the plot. And I don't think that is positively impacting my opinion on the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Need.