Book Him Danno's Reviews > The Night Season

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: books-sent-by-author-publisher-for, mystery, 2011
Read on April 10, 2011

Review: I really enjoyed this book. Wow, it grabbed me right from the start and just kept hold. It is a few books along in a series(4th) but I had no problem catching up to what was going on and the relationships between the characters.

The detective is recovering from a brutal beating and hostage situation from one of the previous books, the reporter is struggling with her feelings for him and with the book she is writing. She's also quite quirky and many on the police force and her own colleagues find her a bit over the top and pushy. I found her funny and a bit scary (eating the Jolly Ranch from the table, really?) The other characters add a level of believability, but still are secondary to the ongoing story. Even the long time detective friends and partners are just part of the scenery in this story.

This story moved fast, just like the flooding river. It started in 1949 and then ended in the present. I enjoyed the way the past introduced the problems in the future and the guilt of those who knew the truth. I’ve been to Portland several times and this was a fun reminder of the area. Of course I have only been there when it isn’t flooding and icy cold (just in the sunny summer).

The book was dark with the theme and with the rain soaked streets and people. The murder weapon was unique and different. It really kept my attention and I didn’t put it down. I would suggest this and her other titles to anyone who loves a good police procedural murder mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Season.