Ashelynn's Reviews > Sweetly

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: recommend
Read from August 11 to 12, 2011

SWEETLY was my first Jackson Pearce book. I’ve been meaning to read SISTERS RED, just haven’t got to buying or reading it yet. (I know! I am lame.) So when I had the chance to review SWEETLY, I jumped at it.

Spoiler alert: I loved it. (Not a real spoiler alert.)

The main character’s voice, Gretchen, cuts through the pages cleanly and I noticed halfway through the book that she had her own voice. Ever read a book then hear the author talk and notice how the character and the author sound ALIKE? Or maybe that’s just me? But Pearce does video blogs (aka vlogs), and I’ve watched probably all of them, so I know what her voice sounds like (which sounds a tad bit stalker-ish…) and still! Gretchen had her own voice.

The story flowed wonderfully, a mixture of emotions along with the plot: happy, sad, pain. There were a few spots where I was surprised because I did not see them coming.

And it’s addictive. I noticed I kept turning page after page after page to learn one thing, and when I did learn that, I kept reading more because there were several other things I wanted to know!

Also? There’s kissing. ^___^

Overall, a fantastic retelling of HANSEL AND GRETEL. I loved the bits of the original story in the retelling (Samuel being a woodsman; Sophia owning a candy shop; Ansel and Gretchen having a stepmother…) I also liked that Pearce added a few Southern superstitions to this paranormal book.

Now, I need to stare at this cover more because how AWESOME is it?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.

08/11/2011 page 100