Brittany's Reviews > The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales o... by Robert Louis Stevenson

Apr 10, 2011

liked it
Read from April 10 to 13, 2011

I really liked the concept of the book. The split between good and evil in everyone, and how Jekyll devolved into basically pure evil in the end. I almost pitied him as he realized he would/could no longer exist, even though he didn't feel too remorseful about the things he did (aside from the killing of Carew). Also, the idea that Hyde may not have been purely evil, trying to change himself back to Jekyll before realizing it was useless and killing himself. I'm not sure if he was just killed himself to save himself from the gallows or because he felt bad, Jekyll was possibly coming out to stop Hyde.
The novella was pretty slow though. It took a pretty long time before it got going. The majority of the story was setting up for the end, and it just continued to drag on. I know it was supposed to be a mystery and suspenseful, but sometimes it came to such a stop that I just wanted to stop reading. The book is like 40 pages and at times I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish it. I feel like the ending made up for it, hence me giving it 3 stars instead of two. Jekyll's description about how he was great to the public, but a pretty bad person behind closed doors basically describes how everyone acts. Everyone is two separate people living as one. Jekyll just couldn't stop being drawn to his hidden side (Hyde).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror.

09/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Woah. I'm happy you got that much out of it. I remember simply hating it.

message 2: by J. (new)

J. This is a really insightfl review...I didnt get that much out of it either...

Brittany I wrote a paper on it, so I think that I had to really analyze it to actually get something out of it. It was mostly the ending that I liked, since it was just an explanation of humanity and our inability to be purely good.

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Sure Julia leaves a comment and you respond that day. I'm kidding :) And I read this for "fun" and really felt it was more for torture.

Brittany It's funny 'cause your comment was under "new" and yet it's month's old. I got an email about Julia's comment. Obviously goodreads is pickin' favorites.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D: what?! it's because Julia can read books in two languages that goodreads favors her.