Jolie Kerenick's Reviews > The Unusual Suspects

The Unusual Suspects by Michael Buckley

Apr 25, 11

Read from April 10 to 25, 2011

My husband read this aloud to my 10 year old girls and me. It is a great read aloud book. There is some tongue in cheek humor, particularly related to some of the character names, that the kids missed that had my husband and I laughing out loud. We really enjoyed this as a family. I will admit that I fell asleep at times so I missed some parts but I really enjoy this series (this is the second in the series. my husband read the first aloud to us as well but it has been at least 2 years so I have forgotten some of the history). The premise is that there are two young girls, the Grimm sisters, who are decendants of the famous brothers, whose parents have mysteriously disappeared. As it turns out, there is a town, Fairy Port Landing (not sure about the spelling since it is being read to me, not by me)where fairy tale creatures/characters are forced to live in hiding. They are disquised as humans but often their names and the descriptions of their personalities give hints/reference to who they really are. As an example, a very good family friend is Mr. Canis. He is the big bad wolf who is fighting to gain control of his evil side.

The two young girls who are the protagonists are smart and resourceful. They manage their parents disappearance by taking it upon themselves to find clues as to there where abouts. The sad part of their disappearance is mostly back story, which works out well since it is a children's book after all. During the story they live with their grandmother who is a great support. There are some funny characters thrown in, such as Puck, also taken in by Granny Relda who is an impish fairy, true to his namesake. Each book seems to have it's own self contained mystery but also gets us closer to the bigger mystery of where the girls' parents are being held captive, and why.

I reccomend this series. It would be great for kids/grandkids who read on about a 5th grade level to read on their own, or to read aloud to kids 7 to 10.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unusual Suspects.