Angie's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Apr 10, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: memoir, nebraska, christian, great-plains-midwest
Recommended for: no one
Read from April 10 to 11, 2011

I'm sure they are a very nice family and told their story as they saw it, I just didn't find anything about it all that "astounding". I guess I was hoping to hear something that couldn't be easily explained away. I also have to say, it really bothered me that they were continually amazed by the things he knew, that "he'd have no way of knowing that!". He was almost four and raised in the church by the pastor. He went to Sunday school and said his prayers and read all the books believers read to their kids. He was surrounded with believers and the church community at all times. Why would he NOT know the things he knew? What have you been teaching your kids in their first four years, if not these very basic child-like concepts? Of course he'd know these things at this age. I must add that I am a Christian and my faith is already strong. I already know that "heaven is for real", so I wasn't looking to this book to affirm anything. At least the book was really short. Anyone could knock it off in a couple of hours, so I suppose it wasn't a total waste of time, in that respect.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.

message 1: by Luann (new)

Luann Schindler I've heard a lot of similar comments about this book, especially that he wouldn't recognize all the church symbolism. Hello! His dad is the pastor and he's been raised with faith.

One of the most interesting looks was by a WaPo columnist called the Spiritual Atheist. She wants to know how this book can be labeled a memoir, because a true memoir is a first person account by the person who is producing the action. In this case (I think; haven't read it yet), it's from the dad's perspective of the incident with the son. From a writing POV, she has a point.

Angie Luann wrote: "I've heard a lot of similar comments about this book, especially that he wouldn't recognize all the church symbolism. Hello! His dad is the pastor and he's been raised with faith.

One of the mo..."

Luann, if they are saying it's the dad's memoir, that works. It's told as it happened to him. Anything the boy says, was as it was told to his parents. If they are trying to imply it was the boy's memoir, that would be incorrect. Either way, I'm not impressed. I'm still giving myself a cooling off period before I decide to bump it down to a solid one star book. I was being nice with two.

message 3: by Luann (new)

Luann Schindler I'm not sure the columnist actually read the book, but it seemed like she thought it was the boy's memoir.

And I'm chuckling about bumping it to a one-star. I've felt that way with a couple books I've read in the last six months.:)

Angie Luann wrote: "I'm not sure the columnist actually read the book, but it seemed like she thought it was the boy's memoir.

Yep, I knocked it down to one. heheh It just rubbed me wrong.