Linda Martin's Reviews > The Tender Mercy of Roses

The Tender Mercy of Roses by Anna Michaels

Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 12 to 20, 2011

I received The Tender Mercy of Roses through the Goodreads First-Read program. When I received it, the cover won me over right away. Most people say you can't judge a book by its cover---true. But you would be surprised how many new authors' books are sold due to the cover. This cover is beautiful and so is the story inside. Good mystery with very believable plot and characters. I didn't figure out who murdered Pony Jones until page 293. As a Tennessean, I am always looking to read books about my state and the south written by southern authors. Anna Michaels knows the south and the language thereof. I also enjoy books about Native Americans. Michaels does an excellent work on weaving Native American legend and lore into this book. Some of the criicism I have would be too many repeated phrases and too many references to roses. Don't get me wrong---I love the rose theme--but there is a point where it becomes tooo much. And Sam's gum chewing habit just got on my nerves. There is definitely overkill(no pun intended) on death and a ghostly presence. But over all, Michaels has given us a very enjoyable debut novel. I believe she has a very promising career in her future because she has a gift for writing. Looking forward to her next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tender Mercy of Roses.