Sarah H. Alshareef's Reviews > How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else

How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: 52-books-2011
Read in June, 2011

i admit that i have decided to read this book because of my desperate need for a job that adds a value to my life, So i read it to get some inspirations and motivations. Frankly, I hate Starbucks, i rarely go there and if i did i only order a frappuccino with extra caramel, plus, i don't drink coffee. As i go through Michael or Mike "as his partners at Starbucks call him" life, i can feel his desperate need for a job after he had been fired. He is so optimistic, determined, tolerant, and kind person. all of that lead him to the person he is today. i've learned a lot about coffee history, different kinds of coffee beans and which treats go well with each coffee Starbucks serves. and the names of the different sizes of the cups at Starbucks. I might give the store a visit soon to visualize if Mike was there serving me with his smile and kind conversation!

This book is so inspirational. i strongly recommend it to all Starbucks fans, coffee fans and people like me who is still searching for a job that truly makes them happy about themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Starbucks Saved My Life.

Quotes Sarah H. Liked

Michael Gates Gill
“In advertising, if you could get clients to laugh, they usually bought your ideas”
Michael Gates Gill, How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else

Michael Gates Gill
“Starbucks wasn't something people decided for or against in a casual way. It was obviously a key part of their lives, an important destination for them every single day. Maybe even several times a day!”

Michael Gates Gill
“I had originally thought that a job at Starbucks might be below my abilities. But now i realized it might be beyond them. This job could be a areal challenge for me - mentally, emotionally, and physically.”

Michael Gates Gill
“The lake i had grown up on was protected by thousands of acres of private forests. It kept out the reality of a harsher world and surrounded me with fun and privilege”

Michael Gates Gill
“Crystal and Starbucks had saved my life. Saved me from my pursuit of empty symbols, but also my anxiety about a fear-filled superficial life that hadn't been, in the end, helpful or even enjoyable for me”

Michael Gates Gill
“I think it's true that the older you get, the more you cry”

07/12/2011 page 56
10/18/2012 page 272
100.0% "I can't believe I read this book twice, I definately love this book!"
show 12 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iqbal (new)

Iqbal Al-Zirqi hmmm; I dont like coffee either, but I dont need a new job. However your review was interesting :)

Sarah H. Alshareef Thank you Iqbal :D

message 3: by Abdulrahman (new) - added it

Abdulrahman Al-Theeb Your review about this book is inspirational itself!, It is one of the very best books that I ever read. My special thanks to you for making me a big fan of it!!

Odai Alsaeed I loved it