deliabookworm's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

2072336
Nov 20, 11

Read from November 08 to 11, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Inheritance! Such a long wait! Now the big question...was it worth it?

Okay, there were a lot of things wrong with this book. But, hell, it was better than Brisingr, thank god. And I did like it. Mostly.

First of all, just got to get some things off my back:

Violence. Seriously. Yes, I am a girl, and theoretically I should be more bothered by violence than guys, the intended audience. Now, I really don't mind violence, I really don't. But Paolini lavishes pages and pages and pages on gore. There's no character development, not plot development, just boring gore. It's disgusting. Paolini has gone out of his way to make Eragon and Roran "moral" characters--they spent so long in Brisingr ruminating on death and its consequences. I would have been able to forgive such page-filling in Inheritance had there been more respect for human life. Instead, Eragon and especially Arya seem to revel in war. If Paolini is really going to spend so much effort into developing Eragon's conscience, he needs to hold true to that. I hated the battle scenes. I didn't even find them that effective. They weren't very well-written, and there was no sense of the horror in the violence. Disgusting.

Okay and now I know this complaint is going to make me sound like even more of a girl, but, come on, Paolini, a little romance? Please? We've spent forever hoping Eragon will get together with Arya--and there's not even a kiss? Nothing? C'mon. Please.

Although maybe I should just be grateful he didn't even try, the lovey-dovey scenes between Roran and Katrina make me feel sick. They're poorly written and no emotional depth whatsoever. Very immature.

However, I did really like Inheritance. It was much, much better than Brisingr. I enjoyed the plot twists. Glaedr was nicely written. And I like the Vault of Souls bit. It was intriguing but not contrived. I also really appreciated the depth of Nasuada and Murtagh. Their relationship was I think the most real of the series. Although I do wish Paolini had laid off the continual mention of her "simple white shift". Galbatorix's vanquishment was appropriate, and held true with all of Eragon's moral ruminations. It was not terribly realistic, but it was nicely done.

The end...I don't know what other people thought of the end, but I liked it a lot. It was very simple and true to the story. It was melancholy, but you know that there's still going to be happiness. And somehow, you know everyone is going to be just fine.

A decent ending to a decent series. I think Paolini has a lot of potential, and now that he's slogged through this series, he can go on and do many more and better things. I just hope he doesn't try to cling to this series and publish all sorts of spin-offs. He needs to move on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.