Angela's Reviews > Something Rotten

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: bookcrossed-or-otherwise-set-free, 2006
Read in March, 2006

The popularity of Jasper Fforde's one-of-a-kind series builds with each new book. Now in the fourth installment, the resourceful literary detective Thursday Next returns to Swindon from the BookWorld accompanied by her son Friday and none other than the dithering Hamlet. But returning to SpecOps is no snap -- as outlaw fictioner Yorrick Kaine plots for absolute power, the return of Swindon's patron saint foretells doom, and, if that isn't bad enough, The Merry Wives of Windsor is becoming entangled with Hamlet. Can Thursday find a Shakespeare clone to stop this hostile takeover? Can she vanquish Kaine and prevent the world from plunging into war? And will she ever find reliable child care? Find out in this totally original, action-packed romp, sure to be another escapist thrill for Jasper Fforde's legions of fans. (publisher's blurb)

More of the same madness and mayhem that makes the previous Thursday Next novels so entertaining. Although this novel is every bit as fun as the others, the plot conceit was starting to wear a bit thin toward the end of the book. This isn't to say I won't read further in the series if it is to be continued; these are the most comically delicious books I've read in quite some time. I hope Mr. Fforde continues to treat us to this particular alternate reality. I also hope he finds the right balance between the madness and the mayhem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Rotten.