Suzanna's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 10 to 15, 2011

This was a GREAT book for anyone who wants to learn about the way animals process information - and as a bonus, you learn about how humans do as well. I love that the author puts things in terms a lay person can understand, and I love that she is honest and humble. Grandin writes matter-of-factly about her own disability, and how it has enabled her to identify with the minds of animals in certain ways. I came away with a deeper understanding of how to interact with my horses and dogs, and found that many of the ideas I had suspected about their mentality, she confirms.

There were a few small (very small) theoretical points on which I disagreed with the author. But these minor issues are entirely theoretical, and don't take anything away from the book.

A very worthwhile read for any animal lover/owner/handler, or just anyone with an interest in the mind and how it functions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwenette (new) - added it

Gwenette This is so interesting. I often said that my cat Munchkin would have been autistic if she were human. I definitely want to read this!