lia's Reviews > Beautiful Evidence

Beautiful Evidence by Edward R. Tufte

Mar 04, 08

Read in March, 2008

"Science & art have in common intense seeing, the wide eyed observing that generates empirical information. Beautiful Evidence is about how seeing turns in to showing, how impirical observations turn into explanations and evidence...evidence presentations are seen here from both sides: how to produce them and how to consume them."

Edward Tufte has written, designed and self published four books (this one in 2006) and he says to expect "at least a quintet". It's no wonder that they are self published as they are big, beautiful and wholly his own. When making an obsevation (really a statement-with no room for differing opinion) he speaks from a place that lets the reader into a mind that ponders analytical design in a way that frankly, I've never thought about in quite this way. Read this if you ever have to make anything that anyone has to look at. I didn't agree with everything he said, but much of it was thought provoking, challenging and funny.
As someone who is deeply affected by things like fonts- I've already put his other books on my "to read" list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Evidence.