Shelly's Reviews > Married By Morning

Married By Morning by Lisa Kleypas

Sep 06, 14

bookshelves: audiobook-version, romance-historical
Read in April, 2011

** spoiler alert ** To be honest, I didn't think I'd like Leo by the time his book came about, I just couldn't see it. This makes the 9th, or is it 10th Lisa Kleypas book I've read, when am I going to learn? He's damn charming, it's hard not to like him!
Overall, the book was great, but not perfect for me. Leo is a great character, I love seeing characters have to go through hell and back, it endears them to me so much! Catherine is a good character too, but I didn't love her. I did come to really appreciate all she's gone through, and how she's survived, but something about her character just wasn't right to me, or something seems missing. She is a good match to Leo, but I was thinking after being dependent on others to get him through things, he would be a true hero to some lucky girl. Instead, he got a girl who resisted him at every turn. The thoughts Catherine had about feeling she wasn't good enough, I got. However, the whole line of thinking that women are all prostitutes on some level, seemed out of place. If she felt herself destined to be unworthy, she sure hid it well, especially in her teachings to Beatrix and Poppy. Not until this book did those thoughts become evident, at least to me.
Things I loved about this book:
* Dodger!! This has got me thinking maybe I should look into getting a ferret, lol!
* The spectacles thing! As glasses girl myself, this is so great to read about in a historical romance, in fact, I think it's the first time I've ever come across it!
* The whole scene where Leo and Catherine fall through the roof of the ruins.
* The fact that Leo didn't care if they lost the house, especially from a budding architect. He understood that a house is less important than his family, go Leo!

I will definitely be reading this again, simply because Leo is so great! Maybe I'll grow to love Catherine more. Can't wait for Beatrix's story!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Married By Morning.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I love you, Marks. My heart is completely and utterly yours. And unfortunately for you, the rest of me comes with it.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Oh, I have a very pure soul. It's only my private parts that have gotten me into trouble".”

Lisa Kleypas
“You seem to think you have a choice," Cam said. "But you have it backwards. Love chooses you. The shadow moves as the sun commands.”
tags: love

Lisa Kleypas
“I know I'm a bad bargain. But I'm begging you to have me anyway. Because I want a chance to make you as happy as you make me. I want to build a life with you."

He fought to steady his voice. "Please come to me, Cat, because there's no surviving you. You don't have to love me back. You don't have to be mine. Just let me be yours.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. I love this series - one of my favorites!

Shelly Mine too!

Ronyell Great review!! I loved Leo to death in this story! He's my favorite hero now!!

Shelly Thanks Ronyell! Leo is fabulous!! His sense of humor is the best, and a little abnormal in heroes anymore! I think LK shows really well how a hero can be funny and sexy!

Ronyell Yeah! This was the first time I have actually seen a hero who can be really funny!

Shelly It is very rare, in fact I'm trying to think if I've read any other books with the hero like that, and I'm coming up blank! I may have to investigate!

Ronyell Me too!!

Shelly I posted it a question on the historical romance group asking if anyone has any suggestions, hopefully we'll get tons!

Ronyell That's a great idea! I need to know which heroes are hilarious!

Shelly I think I linked you, I don't know if it alerts you if that happens, but I figured you'd be interested as well! ;)

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Shell, you need to read A Night to Surrender

Shelly I have added to my list!

Shelly Jill wrote: "Shell, you need to read A Night to Surrender

It is a fantastic book, the dialogue is hilarious and the hero is gorgeous. I put up a review if you're interested."

And I 'liked' your review, btw!

Ronyell Thanks Shells!!