Emily Simmerock's Reviews > I, Coriander

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner

Apr 10, 11

I believe this is one of those select fairy tales that you have to be older to appreciate. I first received this book as a child, maybe ten years old, and tried to read it. I grew bored and impatient, as most ten-year-olds are, and wrote it off as a bad book. I got to organizing my bookshelves several years later, and came across it. Having it in my mindset that I would,once again, despise it, imagine my surprise and pleasure when I found the truth. I simply...loved this book. I found myself having to periodically put the book down from being overwhelmed by the emotion and the magic of the story.

Overall, I was extremely impressed at how well Sally Gardner brought in the history and magic to her well-woven tale. It has some sad parts, due to the death of a mother and an unpleasant (a grotesque understatement) new stepmother. But all in all it was a beautiful story I will recommend to anyone who enjoys a great fairy tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Coriander.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jade Harves I too, received this as a child one christmas and dismissed it after half an hour of admiring the beautiful dust cover. I think it must have been 6 months before I allowed myself to read it and I regret wasting those 6 months without it!

Emily Simmerock I am quite sad to say that I picked it up once more to reread for the umpteenth time, and have misplaced my copy. After having searched for who knows how long, I feel compelled to purchase another copy soon.

Gretchen I agree with you about the age. I was confusing and frightening (giant alligators) to my 7 year old self, but finding it again at 14 gave me a whole new perspective. I adore this book! And I have never liked Oliver Cromwell since.

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Molden I have the same story as you my uncle gave it to me for my tenth birthday and I tied but failed at reading it the first time. I only got around to read in it when I was around 12-13 and I forced myself to read i. As the book went on I grew to adore it and I didn't want it to end!

Emily Simmerock I'm almost nineteen and I still reread it whenever I find myself missing it again.