Robin's Reviews > Dishwasher: One Man's Quest to Wash Dishes in All Fifty States

Dishwasher by Pete Jordan

2064418
Apr 19, 11

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, memoir, zines
Read from April 10 to 19, 2011

Dishwasher Pete and I never ran in the same zine circles, but I read a few issues of Dishwasher; everybody read that zine. It was an exciting zine for a teenage girl like myself to read. Here was a guy who decided to take off and do his own thing. He did something that most people were afraid to do, that was entirely of his own invention. Dishwasher Pete's quest to wash dishes in all 50 states with no specific plan in mind was noble at best; a slight waste of time at worst.

Now that I'm thirty-one, I couldn't help but roll my eyes most of the way through this book. Guys like Pete used to sleep on the couch for weeks at a time at the radical cooperative where I used to live, sucking up our utilities and our space, rarely or never kicking in money to help out, because they were on a quest to FIND THEMSELVES while girls like me were, y'know, surviving and all.

Things I liked: Pete's hardcore research into dishwashing history was interesting, and he's likely the only person who's ever bothered to do such research. As a former dishwasher, I appreciated it. Also, Pete tells stories well. He's not the greatest writer on earth, but he has a good story. That suffices in a book like this.

Things I didn't like: It did get a bit boring after awhile, reading dish story after dish story after dish story.

Things I REALLY didn't like: I wanted to smack Pete across the face when he abruptly quit his dishing mission after following a fat family through the doors of Cracker Barrel, calling them lazy and literally "pigs at the trough." Considering he spent ten years eating scraps out of bus tubs, he's really not one to talk. People who live in glass pig sties shouldn't throw stones.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dishwasher.

message 1: by Patrice (new)

Patrice Didn't this dude have a zine?

message 2: by Patrice (new)

Patrice Oh, shit duh!