Melanie's Reviews > The Wide Window

3190260
Sep 06, 2011

liked it
Read from April 10 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy

Let's just say that this is where the Baudelaire brothers' story starts to get annoying and repetitive. In this book they'll be under the guard of an old aunt that is very nice, but is extremely fearful. And I meant fearful like... she is afraid of touching doorknobs because they might break in hundred pieces and hurt someone. And if that wasn't bad enough, they meet Count Olaf once again, this time under the disguise of a boat renter.

Lemony Snicket's writing style is very pleasant to read and, like the two previous books, this one is very fast paced. The problem is that what you'll read here is just more of the same characters. They just won't mature in any sort of way, and I think that the fact that the Series of Unfortunate Events being directed to younger people does not justify the fact that Mr. Poe is still irritatingly naive, for an instance.

I'm still curious to know what's about to happen with the Baudelaire children and Count Olaf, but I'm no longer anxious to know in what kind of situation they'll get into in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wide Window.