Sarah Messick-Milone's Reviews > Son of a Witch

F_50x66
Mar 04, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Talk about a book that goes nowhere! I read Son of a Witch because I had read Mirror Mirror and Wicked . I really liked Mirror Mirror --it was a very creative and interesting reimagining of Snow White. I enjoyed Wicked considerably less, but it held some interest until the end. It had a lot more bizarre elements (like the wicked witch of the east having no arms) and a rambling plot. But Elphaba (the wicked witch of the west) was an interesting character throughout the novel.

Son of a Witch however, has absolutely no saving grace. The main character, Liir, who may or may not be, but let's face it really is Elphaba's son, is two dimensional and bounces around from random event to random event and random choice to random choice. He starts out on a quest and then abandons it. He heads down one path after the other without ever really having a clear reason for what he's doing or any true character development. Frankly, the book is boring, the main character unengaging, and the plot jumpy and unnecessarily gory. If you want to read Maguire, pick up Mirror Mirror instead. Son of a Witch is a waste of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of a Witch.