Annette's Reviews > The Devil's Arithmetic

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen

Mar 01, 08

bookshelves: ya, holocaust
Recommended for: anyone interested in the holocaust

I read this book in my mid-thirties and it deeply affected me. I noticed that some of the reviews, on this web-site, stated that they read this book in the third grade. I am shocked that a third grade teacher would assign students of that age to read this book. I cannot imagine that a third grader could truly appreciate the serious nature of this book. Even though this is fiction, Jane Yolen truly portrays the horrors of the Holocaust with accuracy. I would recommend this book to an older age group like middle-high school. Another excellent book about the Holocaust, but more appropriate for younger readers is, "Number the stars" by Lois Lowry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Arithmetic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (last edited Feb 07, 2010 07:37PM) (new)

Randy Annette, my son Benjamin's class is planning to watch the movie of this book. He is in seventh grade and we've already had to tell the teacher several times that we object to PG13 movies, etc. Do you know anything about the movie of this book or do you have any advice for me? Would you let Preston watch a movie of this book?
Thanks,
Dawn
p.s. I've tried to look it up on several parent movie review sites and they don't have the movie listed. Thanks!

Annette I didn't even know there was a movie, but if it's PG 13 I would definitely use caution. I would let a seventh grader read the book, but I don't know about the movie. Sorry, I don't know how helpful that is. Good luck!