Gmr's Reviews > Trauma Queen

Trauma Queen by Barbara Dee

Apr 29, 11

Recommended to Gmr by: Barbara Dee
Recommended for: older children to adults
Read from April 10 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

With an easy flowing writing style, this book falls into the "quick read" category perfect for a weekend reminder of what being a family truly means. I saw a lot of my own mother in Ms. Bailey, ironically enough...especially in the opening scenes with Marigold's wardrobe malfunction (her mother thought it was Spirit Week making it Pajama Day and whoops....it wasn't...). Her mother rushes to her rescue, just not quite the way Mari would have liked. You can see that her mother sincerely loves her but in all the embarrassment of the moment her eyes are blinded to her efforts. I think that happens a lot as we are growing up to each and every one of us. We love our parents but we never truly appreciate them for all that they do until time passes and we can see those old situations in a new light. Grant it, they never truly shed their embarrassing undertones, but they do help us gain a new insight into the love shared within a family.

Aside from the mother daughter aspect of the story that takes most of the center stage, there was much more to be pondered. On the fun side, I loved the theater aspects woven into the story. You really got a feel of what life as a performance artist would be like...as well as learned a few fascinating techinques to try on your own time. On a more serious note, I really appreciated the way that her friend Emma was portrayed. Her feelings were really hurt by what happened and the fading away for a time was realistic to what might have occurred in real life should the same situation be encountered. Often times things of this nature are glossed over for the stories sake but here it was used as a lesson to be learned from and built upon. Also, the family structure wasn't all good nor all bad. There was a real history of that initial spark and its being extinguished over time as well as fireworks (not always the good kind) upon future meetings. Again, it reflected real life and makes it that much more accessible to readers as it showed love in its many forms.

In the end, it was a heart felt story about growing up and seeing your family for all its worth not just what you want it to be. Acceptance of all our supposed flaws for better or worse, and understanding that our parents more often than not are simply doing the best that they can. It's not like we were born with an instruction manual you know, though I'm certain they'd love it if we were. Some are better prepared than others, but it doesn't mean that the "free spirit" can't be the parent of your dreams. Love goes a long way in healing those unintentional wounds caused by merely trying to get things right...as does a little understanding.

Recommended read for young readers through adults. It touches on issues of growing up and family from a realistic point of view without an inclusion of controversial topics or language. Happy reading....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trauma Queen.

04/10/2011 page 162
60.0% "I can tell this is going to be a quick read but I gotta say, I think I see a bit of "Mom" in this one. LOL. *reading*"
04/11/2011 page 272
100.0% "Lovely ending. Truly a great and realistic resolution to the whole situation. Review to come."