Pat's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Apr 12, 11

** spoiler alert ** I finished this book though I wish I hadn't.
There are qualities in the writing, the plot and the voice. The father, daughter relationship resolves beautifully in the end. Vera is a likable character a reader can root for. Yet, I am tired of the YA novel that focuses on depravity. Foul language, perversion, alcohol abuse, promiscuity are at the core secret of this story.
I also had a problem with the depth of the "evil" character, the nemesis of the protagonist Vera. A seventeen year old girl who kills her boyfriend because he breaks up with her? A girl who soaks the pet store with gasoline and sets it on fire? A girl and her circle of friends whose cruelty is incomprehensible? I'm sure somewhere out there are depraved teenagers but please....they must be the anomaly. In this novel, they are the norm.
I wish I'd read the jacket and not trusted the Printz award for excellence in young adult lit. The jacket warns that it is dark and surprising. I feel like I need to take out my brain and give it a shower after this read.

12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.

Nina Gayle This needs a spoiler alert.

Jessica Agree. I too found Jenny Flick's character to be a little unrealistic, especially with what happens at the end, on the night Charlie dies.