Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Ain't No Sunshine

Ain't No Sunshine by Leslie DuBois

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: 2010-release, historical-fiction, kindle, librarything, smashwords
Read on April 24, 2011

This one left me reeling... It has a lot in its favor. This is one of those books that I found myself asking, "Why is it self pubbed? This is good stuff..."

First of all, even though the narrator is male, I loved his voice. I loved the way he showed his story, not told it. He drew me in, had my sympathizing, and wondering what was going to happen to him next. Second, I could not for the life of me figure out what was going to happen. Just when I thought I had the entire story figured out... it went a totally different path.

The narrator is Stephen, the time is the 1970s. He has been picked up by the police and is being interrogated about the death of his father and why he and Ruthie, an African American girl, are running from the law. Shephen sits there and tells his and Ruthie's story and what a story!!

Stephen's dad is a reverend who is one man in public and an abusive man at home... "It made me sick the way people fawned over him like he was heaven incarnate. He fooled everyone into thinking he was just simply angelic. In public, his light brown eyes would glisten and gleam with kindness and sincerity, but at home, I was sure those eyes were from Satan himself."

Stephen seeks comfort from the abuse at home with his neighbor, Ruthie. He grows up with Ruthie and falls in love with her.. Despite their difference in skin color, he wants to marry her... but it seems his dad has something to say about that.

The dad winds up dead... family secrets are revealed and they are shocking... and Stephen and Ruthie end up on the run. Are they able to be together? Are they arrested? I'm not saying.

A shocker of a book and a quick read. The author doesn't overburden it with unnecessary details to make it a door stopper.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ain't No Sunshine.

04/24
25.0% "Very good.. wondering what's up with this cruel father though."
02/26 marked as: read