Carol's Reviews > Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell

5204763
Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: covergirls, chick-lit, non-fiction, memior
Read in September, 2010

Julie's cussing, reactive, stress queen attitudes was fun at first. But then it got old ... book was too long. But I do like her acclectic group of friends, her loving and supportive husband and all of the descriptions of food. She ate dinner alot after 10 PM ... I couldn't quite do that.

The end of the memior is also good. Page 307 sums it up nicely.
"But with Julia, it's different. Instead of wandering around some hokey, half-baked heaven, wondering how to obtain real Dover sole, she's rattling around the apartments of my brain, banging away at a good sturdy Garland stove and drinking her wind and having a high old time. She's set in her ways, and she can be mulish, but she doesn't clarify butter anymore because she's decided it's just a nuisance, so she's still learning. And since I've ginve her a place to crash, she's decided I'm not such a bad broad. At least that's what the julia in my head thinks. There are thousands and thousands of her around, in brains all over the world, but this Julia is mine." I like this paragraph because it doesn't matter if this is what Julia Child was in reality, but the Julia Child that lives on and still influences Julia. Julie has chosen to have the positive influence her.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie & Julia.