Monique's Reviews > Demon

Aug 11, 11

Read from July 12 to 26, 2011

4.5 Stars
Reviewed at: AsianCocoa's Secret Garden

The Fallen: Demon is Kristina Douglas’ second book in The Fallen series. It starts seven years after the end of the first novel and is the fallen angel, Azazel’s story. Azazel is the former leader of the Fallen and he was the second archangel to fall from Heaven after Lucifer. After the death of his beloved wife, Sarah, he leaves Raziel in charge of the others and their home in Sheol. The dark and brooding Azazel decides to go after the demon, Lilith and kill her to stop an ancient prophecy from coming to pass. The prophecy states that he will fall in love and wed the Lilith and they will rule hell together. The legend of the Lilith says that she is a succubus demon who seduces men and kills infants. He stalks the Lilith throughout several of her human identities. He finally reveals himself to her during her incarnation as Rachel Fitzpatrick. She has no memory of being a demon. All she knows is that she can never stay in one place for very long and that she cannot go anywhere near infants.

We are introduced to the Dark City in this novel and most of the story takes place in this dreary place that is described as “people living in black and white in a Technicolor universe” like in the movie, Pleasantville. All of the people, scenery, and even the food is this odd gray color and Rachel and Azazel are the only things in vibrant color. The people and situations are not what they seem. There is a shocking betrayal followed by torture and unfortunately Rachel suffers the consequences.

The love story was similar to Raziel in that the hero denies for most of the book that he is in love with the heroine and that she is his chosen mate. Azazel was really cold and mean towards Rachel but that was only because of what he thought Rachel was. Azazel has a couple of opportunities to have Rachel killed but rescues her both times. He denies any romantic feelings for her and explains his lust for Rachel as the Lilith trying to seduce him. It took some time but he finally gave in and accepted the fact that Rachel was his chosen one. I enjoyed Rachel’s feisty attitude and her snarky banter with Azazel despite the danger to her life. Although she is kidnapped by Azazel twice, Rachel falls for him and finds herself craving his touch and affection.

“Are you going to bite me before or after sex?”
“During,” he said. Then put his hand between my legs.
I arched off the bed, surprised and aroused by his touch.
“Why are you wet demon?” he whispered. “You’re not supposed to be liking this.”
“I’m not a demon any longer.”
“No,” he said. “Only to me. You have become my own personal demon. You haunt me, tempt me, drive me mad with wanting you. I have chosen you, because I cannot imagine ever wanting anyone else ever again. You possess me, obsess me; you’re everywhere inside me and I cannot get rid of you. And worst of all, I don’t want to.”
I was breathless, staring at him. “For a declaration of love, that leaves a lot to be desired.”
“I don’t love you. I won’t love you,” he said, and his gently moving fingers found the center of my pleasure and I jerked, sliding down on the bed.
“But by the time I’m done with you, you won’t notice the difference.”
~ Rachel & Azazel

As with the first book I totally fell in love with the Fallen angel’s wings. I love how they unfurl their wings and envelope their mates after making love to them. I really love Kristina Douglas’ world of The Fallen. I thought the details and the flow of the book were outstanding. I enjoyed both protagonists and the dialogue and the suspense kept me interested throughout the novel. This book can be read as a standalone but I would recommend reading the first one just to get a better understanding about the Fallen angel’s history. This was a fabulous follow up to the first novel and I am looking forward to book three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon.

07/25/2011 page 178