Annette's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

Nov 08, 2013

bookshelves: classics, 5-star-fictional-favorites
Recommended for: EVERYONE!!!
Read in November, 2013 , read count: 2

Love, love LOVE this book! I read it several years ago and of course I've seen the movie a few times. When I saw the audio version at my local library I couldn't resist picking it up and taking it home. Sissy Spacek narrated it and did a fantastic job. This is one of those books you just gotta read at least once every 5 years. It just doesn't get any better than this!

Most people are familiar with the trial involving a black man (Tom Robinson) and a white man (Bob Ewell) but there is so much more than that! Yes, civil rights is the big issue here, but there is also a coming of age story about a little girl and her brother growing up without a mother . It's about growing up in the south during the Great Depression. It's about doing what's right even when it means you have to stand alone. It's about doing the honorable thing no matter what the consequences. It's about relationships with your neighbors, towns people, cousins, aunts, uncles, teachers, classmates, etc. Even though its from Scout's point of view it's really about Atticus. Every word that comes out of his mouth is pure wisdom. If every child had a dad like Atticus, the world would be an entirely different place.