Austin James's Reviews > Vittorio, The Vampire

Vittorio, The Vampire by Anne Rice

Apr 09, 2011

bookshelves: horror
Read in April, 2011

Vittorio the Vampire is the second (and final) book in the series "New Tales of the Vampires" by Anne Rice. It's different from the previous novel, Pandora. This novel has entirely original characters. Whereas Paganism played an important role in Pandora, Christianity is the focus in this novel.

And I think that's the part of the novel that shines. By this time in the series, the vampire thing is kind of old. I still enjoy the vampire aspect, but I found the angels in this book to be a refreshing and a complimentary addition to the "Anne Rice" take on vampires.

Like all of Rice's novels, history and art are important to the story. This novel features the work of Fra Filippo Lippi, an artist during the time of Cosimo de' Medici, as well as the writings of Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine. All of it flows effortlessly through the story, enriching the experience just as I've come to expect from a Rice novel.

The novel is short (My hardcover was 288 pages) and it's a quick read (took me two days), but it's worth it. I think it's best to view this story on it's own. It's completely different from the other vampire books. I didn't find it to be better or worse - only different. And that's what makes it special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vittorio, The Vampire.