Courtney's Reviews > Eugene Onegin

Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin

Apr 09, 11

Read on April 09, 2011

Even though it took me awhile to get into the rhythm of Pushkin's meter (some cantos were definitely easier to read than others), I ended up relishing the stanzas at the end, particularly when Onegin begins to write to Tatiana--some of those lines are the most decadent poetry I've ever read. The narrative of the story was always interesting, though Pushkin sidetracked just about every other stanza, talking about poets, nature, his take on Russian history, or just about anything else Russian, pertaining (or not) to his story. The story is a little like Chekov's Three Sisters (one sister's lover gets killed in a duel, the other ends up trapped in a loveless marriage), but I have to say I respect Tatiana more than Chekov's Masha. Yes, they were both lovesick, but Tatiana recognizes the reality of the situation and flat out says, "Yes, I love you and I would marry you if I could, but I can't, so I never want to see you again, because I am going to be committed to this marriage because I said I would." Mature woman, I hope I could make a decision of the will like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eugene Onegin.