Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl's Reviews > The Diamond Age: or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

Apr 27, 13

Read from April 09 to 16, 2011

Ok, so this one was not as I had expected and man, was it a hard read. So much so, that even after giving it several chances, I'm having to admit defeat and flag it after-all.

Disappointing? Yes.

I had read some decent reviews about this Science-Fiction Cyberpunk story written by Neal Stephenson, and based on those reviews, I thought it was worth a read. I am a sci-fi/cyberpunk fan, so this one fell right into the correct category for me. I had high hopes.

It just didn't work for me.

What do I give this one?

It's simple really. It gets 2/10: "Managed half the book, tempted to read more but just couldn't get there" on the NBRS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond Age.

04/09/2011 page 1
0.0% "Just about to start this cyberpunk novel. Another eBook for my tablet. Yeah!"
04/12/2011 page 44
10.0% "Ok, so I'm having some trouble with this one. I had read some good reviews and decided to give it a go, based on those, but really, I just don't get it. The language is archaic, the story all over the place and the general flow, non-existent. So, I'm taking a break, not writing it off yet, I do plan to come back and give it another chance, but for now, it's back on the shelf."
04/15/2011 page 260
57.0% "I am begining to get some enjoyment from this story now, but it is hard going. The first 200 pages were a jumbled mess, no coherant theme, just bits and pieces with no obvious connections. I'm still not sure what it's all about, but I am enjoying the odd bit of cyberpunk here and there."