Joy's Reviews > The Storm at the Door

The Storm at the Door by Stefan Merrill Block

May 08, 11

Read in May, 2011

I was happy to win this goodreads "giveaway" book.

Reading this book was a little like taking a psychology class in college--by the time you have finished, you are sure you have most, if not all, the disorders, personalities, disfunctions and distortions. Everyone is crazy; no one is crazy.

Perhaps it was because the author was writing about his family, but descriptions of them and their decisions seemed very detached, it was hard to "get into" this book. I really wanted to like Katherine and/or Frederick. The only character who was described with any sensitivity was Schultz, the "who, what, where, and why" made him more sympathetic to me.

From the beginning, I found the author's style pendantic--why use an everyday word when you can find one more complicated and grandiose? The first half of the book was painfully slow and this book was getting 2 stars. It did seem that once he got his legs under him, the author was finally able to move the story along and would be worth 4 stars (in spite of agonizing thesaurus overuse.) Perhaps it was painful to retell; his family story reads like a Shakespearean tragedy. This story is going to stay with me for awhile as I'm sure it has for Stefan Merrill Block.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm at the Door.

05/07/2011 page 273