Megan Marie's Reviews > Beyond the Highland Mist

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites, own
Read from April 09 to 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I am proud to announce that I have finally read a book written by Karen Marie Moning and am absolutely thrilled by said author. Cannot believe I didn't pick her up before.

This series is a mixture of faeries and time travel. I don't think I could have asked for more. Well, yes, I could have but we'll get to that later. The main characters for this particular book are the Hawk, the big burly male lead. He is a Scottish Laird and his main home is at Dalkeith-Upon-the-Sea. He is living in sixteenth century Scotland and his been the whore for King James for fifteen years and has just been released to return home. His love interest is Adrienne de Simone a twenty-first woman on the run from the New Orleans police department for having killed her lying/thieving/cheating fiance.

The two should never have met let alone fall in love but that is exactly what happens. The faerie queen is feeling rejected by her husband/consort and decides to regain his interest by saying that the Hawk has lain with her and by so doing starts a chain of events that sends Puck into the future, by order of the kind, to find a woman that is beautiful beyond reason but will hate the Hawk. This is the main premise of the book.

I loved all of the characters in this book. I found Adrienne easy to relate with. She had a terrible betrayal done to her by the first person she thought really loved her and that can really mess with your sense of self. I was quite surprised that she truly tried to keep the Hawk away from her even though she was so in lust with him. I would like to think that I have that kind of will power but it is very doubtful.
The Hawk is just gorgeous beyond reason. I mean really, who doesn't love a hot Scottish guy in a kilt? I submit that there is no one that doesn't find that idea appealing. Plus he has that whole I-sincerely-want-a-family-and-kids thing going on for him which makes him a rarity in any century. I think the only serious problem I had with was how self-involved he was. It took until the very end of the book for the silly bastard to pull his head far enough out of his ass to realize that Adrienne hadn't betrayed him, that she'd been protecting him. I mean once he finally did figure this out he didn't stop until he found a way to get his lady love back but during that extended period of time where he couldn't see past his own insecurities and jealousy I really wanted to throttle him, not in a good way.

I am really looking forward to reading the next book and am seriously considering starting her Fever series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Highland Mist.

04/09/2011 page 299