Joseph's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

May 04, 11

bookshelves: fiction, favorites
Read from March 12 to 24, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

April 9, 2011 - April 22, 2011

Easily my favorite of the series so far, for several reasons. Firstly, for a series marked by so many surprising twists, this volume includes the most shocking, from the Red Wedding to Littlefinger's revelations and the final stunning moment.

But more importantly, perhaps, is that for the first time in a while, it feels like Martin is bringing something together, rather than just throwing more wood on the fire. Daenerys still feels like she belongs in a completely separate book, but by connecting Jorah to Varys and re-introducing Barristan, there's at least a slight reminder that she's headed back to Westeros.

As for the rest of Martin's many and varied storylines, it seems as though he's finally weaving them together, with characters interacting with one another or just crossing through the same space. The book is no longer just a chronicle of mildly connected events happening in different places, but is starting to become a tapestry of connected people moving together through a shared world.

March 12, 2013 - March 24, 2013

Just as good as I remembered it, although I'd actually forgotten just how much happens after the Red Wedding. This book really does seem like a prelude to the ending of the series, which I guess makes the next two books so disappointing in comparison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.