Tad's Reviews > The Lost Gate

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

Apr 09, 2011

Read in April, 2011

I was first introduced to Orson Scott when Ender's Game was assigned reading in my English class freshman year of high school. All these years later, he remains my favorite writer and this book proves why and also provides proof that he is still at the peak of his abilities after almost 40 years of writing. While I found some of the magical elements a little hard to follow, what really got me into the story were the characters. Just like he did with Ender's Game, Card's main character is a crafty and smart child who I could instantly relate to. The troublemaker and trickster who just wants to survive. This is a common motif throughout Card's novels and he does it so well. He has a great ear for how someone that age would talk and the kind of things they would do and how they would act. I'm excited to read further books in this series although I worry that like his other series, it will run out of steam before the end. I seriously hope that doesn't happen with this one because he has crafted such a great world here. It's funny how this man remains a best-selling author yet I know so few people who have ever heard of him. Their loss because when it comes to science-fiction and fantasy, he remains one of the best and this book proves it. One of his best and certainly the best he's written in a long time!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Gate.