Cherie's Reviews > The Night Season

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain

Apr 09, 2011

Read from April 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy

The fourth installment to Chelsea Cain's Beauty Killer series, The Night Season captures the reader in a suspenseful flood of mystery, intrigue, and the actions of a sixty-year-old corpse tied to a new serial killer.

The water is rising in Portland, and the city is in high alert to save itself. The encroaching waters aren't enough to halt a murderer, but Detective Archie Sheridan is on the case. Reporter Susan Ward, of course, isn't far behind – love reading about her new hair color in each book, by the way – and she's willing to use her sources to find connections between floods of past and present.

Although I was a little disappointed in Ms. Cain's Evil at Heart, I am thrilled with The Night Season. The dashes of history are poignant and remind that not only history has a way to repeat itself, but also a buried past will come to light. I love the witty, a little bit corny, and touching interactions between Archie and Susan and the other characters. Ms. Cain had me chortling, crying, and cringing, and she is masterful in cliffhanger chapter endings. Although it is in a series, The Night Season can stand alone and is a quick read. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Season.