Adam Wilson's Reviews > Coldheart Canyon

Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker

M 50x66
May 13, 2011

Read in April, 2011

Clive Barker has finally been accepted by me as a good author because of this book. Before I discovered the lengthy but incredibly good Coldheart Canyon, my experience with Barker had been disappointing to say the least. I had attempted two different novels by him and given up on both. One of these was the Great And Secret Show which is supposed to be one of his best. Also, the comments on the film Midnight Meat Train did not help his reputation for me.
Frank Muller helped me through Coldheart Canyon however and I loved it. I couldn’t justify giving the thing five stars because it was drawn out and Barker stretches fiction a bit far for me in it, but it is amazingly well-written and gives us a blazing look at the fall of Hollywood actors and what they will do to stay in the spotlight. We also visit The Devil’s Country and meet several of its interesting inhabitants and also get to see what it is like when a die-hard fan meets her hero and gets a lot more than she bargained for.
I recommend this to fans of horror, but the fans who prefer authors like Ramsey Campbell and Peter Straub might like it more than fans of Bryan Smith, Edward Lee, and Richard Laymon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coldheart Canyon.