Jamie's Reviews > Happy Birthday to Me

Happy Birthday to Me by Brian  Rowe

May 19, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own, e-books, kindle, review-copy, review-copy-from-author-publisher, paranormal-romance, ya, favorites, magic, spell-casters, recommend
Read in May, 2011

I received this e-book for review. This did not in any way affect my review.

When I first received the request to review this I was like what? Then I read the description and thought well this could be interesting. It blew me away. It was one of the most emotional books I have ever read.

The story starts off with Cameron in the hospital as an old man. Then it takes us back to how his story started. Cameron is an all star basketball player with a beautiful girlfriend and lots of friends. He is also a cocky jerk who thinks he can get whatever he wants. One night while at his favorite pizza place with his friends he tells the waitress that it's his birthday (a joke he plays a lot to get free cakes). The next day his life changes. He starts aging an entire year every day. On the outside he grows older looking but he is still a 17 year old on the inside. Throughout the story he loses his girlfriend Charisma and most of his friends. The only one that stays by his side is his best friend Wesley. His dad was annoying throughout until the end and even then I don't know if he was being genuine.

Some strange things happened as he aged that I found disturbing. I really liked Wesley and Liesel. We don't see much of Liesel, she just kinda pops up every once in awhile until the end. By the end of the book Cameron has become a completely different person not only on the outside but also on the inside. The part where Wesley did something for Cameron in the hospital (not going to spoil it), I had tears in my eyes. What a terrific best friend he is. To see what Cameron goes through and how people change toward him, it was very emotional. I loved the entire book but the ending was amazing.

It is an wonderful story that I recommend everyone should read. It is not at all what I thought it was going to be, it was so much better. Truly unique and original, you will not want to put it down. I am looking forward to reading the next installment to this trilogy.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Birthday to Me.