Kelly's Reviews > Magic on the Line

Magic on the Line by Devon Monk

Nov 14, 11

Read from November 05 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

I’ve got to hand it to Devon Monk: she scares the daylights out of me, in a really good way. Earlier this year she sent chills down my spine with the blood-and-steam magic of Dead Iron. The latest ALLIE BECKSTROM installment, Magic on the Line, is just as chilling, for at least three reasons:

One, something has gone terribly wrong with magic. Allie gets sick every time she tries to cast spells; and worse, one young acquaintance has died and another has become deathly ill from a mysterious ailment connected to the ghostly Veiled.

Secondly, the Authority is cracking down on the magical community of Portland after the chaos of the last few books. Monk creates a terrific vibe of paranoia and persecution as the new Portland overseer, Bartholomew Wray, begins a reign of terror.

Finally, the holes in Allie’s memory come back to haunt her when she hires the services of a mad scientist/doctor, and he seems to know her. Very well. Even though as far as she knows, she’s never met the man before.

In addition to being a spine-tingling read, Magic on the Line is a turning point for the series. Allie changes, becoming more hardened. Zayvion changes, as he weighs the letter and spirit of his oaths against the new Authority policies. And by the end of the book, Allie and her friends face a whole new set of challenges, without a lot of the advantages they previously had. It’ll be a very different series from here on out.

Magic on the Line is a great addition to the ALLIE BECKSTROM series; it advances the plot dramatically… and will have you looking over your shoulder for Veiled and creepy Authority goons.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic on the Line.

11/05/2011 page 359
98.0% "This has gotten good. I love the whole sense of paranoia here."
11/05/2011 page 1
0.0% "Crap, updated wrong book."
11/08/2011 page 170