J. Rosemary Moss's Reviews > Snowball in Hell

Snowball in Hell by Josh Lanyon

May 24, 12

bookshelves: lgbt, kindle, josh-lanyon, m-m-romance, fiction, romance, historical-romance, favorites, five-stars
Read from April 09 to 16, 2011

The mystery is front and center in this story, but it never overshadows the romance: Matthew Spain’s attraction to Nathan Doyle is immediate and palpable—and it doesn’t abate, even when realizes he has to add Nathan to his lists of suspects for the murder of Phil Arlen. Nathan, meanwhile, is dangerously depressed, dangerously contemptuous of his own homosexuality, and dangerously determined to ferret out the real killer.

I am not a fan of noir films, so I wasn’t sure I would enjoy the noir feel of this book. But my doubts vanished in the first few pages. I was hooked! The mystery kept my interest, and my heart bled for Nathan, who can’t bear to live like a monk and yet can’t help despising his sexual appetite. Matthew, meanwhile, seems to be living his life on a more even keel—but Nathan manages to upset his balance!

The setting—WWII California—seems solid and I didn’t notice any anachronisms in the characters’ attitudes or vocabulary. The ending left me satisfied, but curious; fortunately Josh Lanyon is planning a sequel. (See his thread for this book in his Q & A Group here on Goodreads.) All in all an excellent read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowball in Hell.