Jadaloves's Reviews > Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye

Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie

Apr 11, 11

Read in January, 2011

This was a cute little cozy mystery that I enjoyed getting into. I was thrown off at first because the book is written in first person and I’m just not used to reading books written in first person. It took a little getting used to, but once I did the book had a nice flow.

Abby Cooper is a thirty-something woman who makes a decent living giving psychic readings. While she can see the future, her best friend can see the past. I really liked Abby. She’s brave and courageous, and I really love that she doesn’t tolerate any nonsense. She’s also pretty hilarious at times. I found myself chuckling softly at her a few times. She’s also very caring and compassionate.

Dutch Rivers, the police officer she’s interested in, is a strong character as well. I love that although he is attracted to Abby, he is cautious about her abilities and not very open to the idea of her being a pyschic at first. But throughout the novel we get to see Dutch grow in his understanding of the unknown, and eventually begin to open up and embrace new things, even though he can’t quite explain it. He allows his science and analytical mind to take a backseat for once.

The chemistry between Abby and Dutch is great. They’re both attracted to each other but very wary because of the other’s profession. They dance around each other, both teetering on the brink of surrender, and then pulling back. Then starts the dance again.

As far as the mystery part…I’ve read better, but the story was still interesting. I was however able to guess who the killer was after a few clues. I think the mystery part of the book, though the clues were woven together fantastically, was pretty simple as plots go. I found the relationship between Abby and Dutch more intricate than the actual mystery. But because of the humor and chemistry between the leads, it was still an enjoyable read. I’ll definitely read the others in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye.