Catherine Hurst's Reviews > Ordinary Heroes

Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow

Apr 09, 2011

Read in April, 2011

I've always enjoyed Scott Turow's legal thrillers, but this book tells a different kind of story. The narrator, a retired reporter, discovers a cache of letters when his father dies, and uses them as a starting point to research his father's World War II experiences. Most of it takes place on the battlefields of Europe in the last year of the war, and the contrast of the narrator's research process combined with the vivid recreation of the war from one soldier's point of view make a riveting novel. I literally could not put it down--read almost straight through for two days. Compelling plot with a twist that starts to reveal itself early--when you think you might be imagining it--and then becomes gradually clearer and more likely. Moving exploration of what our parents do and don't tell us, and the conversations we might have/should have had with them if we'd known then what we know now. My only quibble is that some of the details about movements of various military units around the European theatre was a little confusing if you were not a WW II history buff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Heroes.