Robin Spano's Reviews > Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion

Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk

Apr 10, 2011

Read on April 09, 2011

Crush It is a must-read for anyone who wants to create a web presence.

Vaynerchuk shows us how the world is changing so that anyone can cash in on their passion, whatever that may be. He shows readers how to see themselves as a brand, and emphasizes enthusiasm, authenticity, and extremely hard work as critical factors in achieving that success.

He gives advice that ranges from conceptual to specific, and I like that. (He tells you what to do, and why.) His writing style is clear, energetic, and enjoyable to read. While the principles themselves verged on the obvious (IMO), I left the book with a renewed energy to revamp my amateur website (I haven't done this yet) and to take a more chess-like approach to web presence in general.

The only thing I dramatically disagree with is when Vaynerchuk writes that if you're crushing it, you don't have time for life's auxiliaries, like chilling on the couch or catching a game of tennis. I think you do. I think the only reason to bother following your passion is so that you live a fulfilled and balanced life. For me - although I love my job to an addiction level and could lose myself in it happily - I know that I'm strongest when I'm balancing work with recreation and a healthy social life.

I think this book has genius in it. I recommend it highly to anyone whose career or passion could benefit from a web presence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crush It!.