Maryann's Reviews > Family Tree

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: romance, family
Recommended for: people who don't get offended so easily
Read from April 09 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I don't understand all the poor reviews. Being a child of a mixed heritage, I wasn't offended at all.
The book is about a white couple conceiving a black baby. Everyone's shocked of course and throwing around accusations and suggestions.
The father of the baby, Hugh is from a well-known and very wealthy family with a history of trying to help the minority races of America as well as being overly proud of their "white" heritage. Hypocrisy at it's best. The mother of the baby, Dana has little knowledge of her family and so, obviously the baby's funny colouring had to have come from her.
The novel follows the lives of the married couple, their family, friends and even neighbours; uncovering all the skeletons that everyone seemed to have locked up in their closets.
I enjoyed the read and gave it five stars because not once was I bored enough to put it down. Don't get me wrong, it annoyed me a little that they kept circling the "black" and "white" issue with so much fuss. I would have thought after the DNA test, everyone would be settled enough to know that either Dana or Hugh had descended from someone black but noooo... somehow, being black was almost like the end of the world.
Anyway, I still stick with my five stars review. Call me "generous" but I think the novel is worth it.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Tree.

04/09/2011 page 44
show 2 hidden updates…

Petra X I have a white child with green eyes and blonde hair, kinky blonde hair. My ex-husband is black. He was considered very funny colouring by both sides of the family but neither side is racist so everyone loved him.

Maryann Petra X wrote: "I have a white child with green eyes and blonde hair, kinky blonde hair. My ex-husband is black. He was considered very funny colouring by both sides of the family but neither side is racist so eve..."

Awwwww :) Yeah, I wish people realized how irrelevant skin colour is. People are people, family is family. Skin colour doesn't change that :)