Texasshole's Reviews > Swamp Thing Volume Seven

Swamp Thing Volume Seven by Alan Moore

Jul 12, 12

Read from June 05 to July 12, 2012

In one fell swoop Alan Moore created his own mythology, showed the publishing industry that the Comics Code Authority was total bullshit (this was the first mainstream comic published without the CCA seal of approval on the cover) and brought metaphysics and magick into comics. No small feat, and the beginning of one of my favorite story arcs of all time. This volume is easily the most 'comic book-y' of the series, as Moore cleans house on a creature that had existed for more than ten years, multiple writers and a terrible, terrible movie. The series goes in strange directions in later issues, and with the exception of that wonky issue with the guest illustrator where Swamp Thing gains sentience in the mold growing in a floating super-computer, I love it all. However, do keep in mind while reading that this was originally published in monthly installments and that Moore had to lure in the comics crowd with some moore standard fare (see what I did there?) before hitting them with the weird shit.

I'm glad that I read this as an adult and had already developed many ideas similar to the ones espoused by Moore in the series. Knowing that he was about my age while writing it makes me hope that we're drawing from the same collective unconscious. Perhaps one day I'll be as cool as this hash smoking, magick practicing beardy weirdie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swamp Thing Volume Seven.