JoAnn's Reviews > Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul

Wild at Heart by John Eldredge

Apr 16, 11

bookshelves: christian

As a woman, I felt this book gave some valuable insight into men, particularly Christian men. I have been moved by Mr Eldredge's books since I discovered The Sacred Romance several years ago and this book was no exception, even though it was aimed more at men.

Mr. Eldredge says that "in the heart of every man is a desperate desire for a battle to fight, and adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue" and shows how those desires are planted in a man by God as a part of the image of God in which he was created.

I loved his insights into the role Adam played in the Fall of Man and into the value of men and masculinity. He also talks about a woman's heart and the ways in which women uniquely bear God's image, but it is more to illustrate the man's role in his relationship with women and how the two compliment each other. If you are looking for more on women from this point of view I would recommend Captivating by the same author and his wife Stasi.

I did have one minor disagreement with the book and that was about Bathsheba being mentioned but not by name in Matthew's genealogy of Jesus Christ. In a list of 41 male ancestors of Jesus, only five women (not four -- why do commentators often forget that Mary is also listed?) are mentioned. Matthew would have raised no eyebrows by not referencing Bathsheba at all. I have always thought she was referred to as "she who had been Uriah's wife" as a way to honor her first husband, who was one of David's mighty men, for the grievous wrong done to him on the way to getting Bathsheba into the ancestry of Christ. I have also thought that that insertion of Uriah's name was more a reminder of David's sin than of Bathsheba's. He was the one with the power and who initiated things and who ordered Uriah's murder.

Otherwise, very good. A keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild at Heart.

Quotes JoAnn Liked

John Eldredge
“And after years of hearing the heart-cry of women, I am convinced beyond a doubt of this: God wants to be loved. He wants to be a priority to someone. How could we have missed this? From cover to cover, from beginning to end, the cry of God's heart is, "Why won't you choose Me?" It is amazing to me how humble, how vulnerable God is on this point. "You will . . . find me," says the Lord, "when you seek me with all your heart" (Jer. 29:13). In other words, "Look for me, pursue me -- I want you to pursue me." Amazing. As Tozer says, "God waits to be wanted.”
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul