Matt McCormick's Reviews > The Long Emergency: Surviving the End of Oil, Climate Change, and Other Converging Catastrophes of the Twenty-First Century

The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler

Apr 08, 11

This is one of the most negative books I've read. It did make me think about how dependent we are on oil. I found Kunstler's casual dismissal of the possibility that another energy source may come along to save us rather short-sighted. Technology is advancing so quickly these days. Could anyone have predicted the popularity of the internet just 20 years ago? Or predicted just 10 years ago that one could basically carry around a computer in your pocket? Why will we not see similar progress in the energy field especially when so much money is at stake? A person that could create a means to an energy source that would replace oil would probably become richer than Bill Gates.

I tend to have a optimistic view of humanity while Kunstler's view is in complete opposite to mine. I suppose it's good to have a balance but I think Kunstler goes too far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Emergency.