Bryce's Reviews > Magician's Gambit

M 50x66
Jan 15, 2016

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 09 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Garion learns a little bit more about himself, a few more mysteries are resolved, and a few more important confrontations are had.

This chapter of the Belgariad definitely feels like a middle. In isolation, it's somewhat less compelling than the previous two books, and while the plot moves forward, it didn't feel like that much happened in the grand scheme of things. Despite these failings, it is still a highly enjoyable read and kept me turning the pages.

The humor that pervaded the earlier books is still present, especially in Silk, though apparently even he finds there are situations where his sarcasm and wit fail him. One thing that's been bugging me about this series bubbled up to the surface in this book, though, which is that while the party of travelers encounters obstacles along the way, they seem to be having an easy time of it, especially considering the the significance of the task before them. I keep wondering whether they will actually fail at anything, though clearly they cannot ultimately fail. Also, Eddings seems fond of using the word "bland." Perhaps a game could be made of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician's Gambit.