Rachel's Reviews > The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

F 50x66
Apr 11, 2011

bookshelves: novels
Read from April 08 to 11, 2011

This book is crazy good. I haven't been so caught up in a novel in a long time, and the end was a true surprise. I'm very glad I didn't poke around too much for spoilers when I was trying to see if anything was going to happen. That's my one gripe with this: for a long time, it's great writing and characters and a scorchingly strong sense of place, but not much going on. After a while, I realized there are actually several momentous events in this book, but McCullers doesn't treat them as momentous, which is genius because that's how they often are in real life. It's a book full of dramatic events but no drama. So now I'm fully reconciled to it. I'm eager to do a bit of research to see what people have said about Singer being a God figure; the treatment of that seems possibly a little heavy-handed, but that may be just because I'm really focused on religion right now and very attuned to the slightest mention. I like that aspect of the book very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.