Vivian's Reviews > Davi

Davi by Roy C. Booth

Apr 10, 11

Read from April 08 to 10, 2011

When I was first asked to read and review a fantasy novella about humans and dwarves I was a little hesitant, namely because I wasn't sure I would like it. Imagine my surprise when I read Davi - Tales of Suruale and found that I liked it (kind of...sort of liked it). Yes this is a fantasy novella and yes it includes humans, dwarves (or dwarfs), elves (mentioned only), gargoyles and nocturnes (one presumes this refers to vampires because we don't really meet any), but it isn't in your face with these aspects. The dwarves aren't magical or mystical creatures, they are simply presented as being dwarves - similar to humans but different.

The main character is Davi, a human blacksmith that specializes in weaponry. He has lived all of his live as an outsider on the outskirts of a human village. He is forced to accept an impossible task - re-open trade with the dwarves - by the elders of his village. Needless to say the villager leaders are astounded when he returns successful in his quest. Trade is reopened but not they way they wanted or expected. Throughout this tale Davi learns of acceptance and inclusion when he is accepted by the dwarves. He is even adopted by a dwarf blacksmith and befriended by numerous others. Later Davi is sent on what appears to be an impossible task by the dwarf king, and again he is successful.

In many ways this is appears to be a book about racism, prejudice and bigotry. It is also about learning to accept who and what we are no matter what and being comfortable with where we are. This isn't a great book or a bad book. What is it? It's a quick and decent read for those interested in the fantasy genre - light on the fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Davi.