Arie ☂'s Reviews > Saving Francesca

Jun 28, 11

bookshelves: ya-fiction, ya-contemporary, read-2011, aussie-ya, pretty-prose
Read from June 26 to 27, 2011

Actual rating 3.5

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Melina Marchetta really knows how to write. She had me cracking up on an air plane full of people at 3am. I might have been a little disappointed after the depth and beauty of On The Jellicoe Road, but I'm really looking forward to reading The Piper's Son.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Quotes Arie ☂ Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I can't believe I said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenseless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.”

Melina Marchetta
“You go shake your foundations, Will. I think it's about time I saved myself.”

Melina Marchetta
“Do you want to hang out? At your place or something?" Hanging out with Jimmy Hailler will mean that I have to say hello to him every day. I'm not ready to say hello to him every day. Too much commitment. It's bad enough that I'm sharing chocolate brownies swith him. I shake my head. "Not today.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's like you have a plan and someone comes along and makes you want to change it all, but you still like your first plan, no matter how fantastic the second one makes you feel.”

Melina Marchetta
“Who do you hang out with?" Natalia asks, looking over my shoulder. She's always done that. Wherever you are, whoever you are, she'll always look over your shoulder to see if there's someone more exciting to speak to. It used to make me feel paranoid.”

Melina Marchetta
“He takes out a cigarette and offers one to me.
"I try not to indulge. It's a filthy habit," I tell him.
"I love that word filthy. I love the way you force it out of your mouth like it's some kind of vermin you want to get rid of."
"You've had vermin in your mouth?"
"You're mean in that way, you know. You don't let anyone get away with pathetic analogies.”

06/26/2011 page 20