Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Blood Rights

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: books-read-2011, genre-urban-fantasy, vampires
Read from November 28 to December 08, 2011

This review was posted at Under The Covers

The House of Comarre is a dark and gritty world. A comarre is basically a human with some special strength, and they are raised and trained to eventually be sold to the highest vampire bidder. They are the food source for vampire nobility. And hence the vampire who pays for them owns their blood rights.

This complex world of vampire politics and world domination plotting kicks off when Algenorn, Chrysabelle's master, is murdered and a precious ring is stolen from his possession.

Chrysabelle was almost at the point in her service where she should've been offered freedom from Algenorn and after finding him dead runs away, thinking she would be the first suspect in the murder.

She now has to prove her innocence while trying to stay alive. And who can she align herself with? Her best bet is an anathema vampire who's been cursed and cast out of nobility. Malkolm is a sexy, tortured hero. He is cursed to drain anyone he drinks from and has not drank directly from a human since the last girl he killed came back to haunt him as a ghost. Fiona is a source of much entertainment, especially when she chooses Chrysabelle's wardrobe. Along with the lowlife vampire and a ghost there's a shape-shifter, her aunt (comarre) and a few other supernatural misfits along the way that will be crucial to clear her name and prevent Tatiana, the evil vampire, from achieving her plans.

I really liked the characters and I loved the complex new world. I was having a bit of a hard time getting adjusted to all the new terms (and I might've glanced back at the glossary a few times) but after 60% I was ok with it. But somewhere around the middle of the book the pace started dragging a bit.

I did enjoy the slow building of the relationship between Chrysabelle and Malkolm and I can see them being great together in the next books. And the twist at the end... I did not see that coming!

Intrigue, action and a sort of raw sensuality as well. It all comes together and promises to be a great series! I can't wait to read more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Rights.

11/28/2011
9.0% "Intricate world, but very interesting."
11/30/2011
14.0% "Starting to understand what's going on."
12/01/2011
23.0% "I can't wait to see what's going to happen between them."
12/01/2011
38.0% "Oh crap" 10 comments
12/03/2011
50.0% "Don't go your separate ways, no don't!"
12/08/2011