Emily May's Reviews > Some Girls Bite

May 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011
Read on May 09, 2011

Well, I didn't hate it. But I don't have much else to offer. I find it suprising just how far downhill Urban Fantasy has gone in the last few years, with the exception of the awesomely fantastical (why are you not reading?!) Fever series. Chloe Neill is not a bad writer and she uses most of what you'd expect to find in the genre: strong heroine, hot vampires, bit of mystery thrown in for good measure... and I just feel like it's the same story churned out by numerous authors looking to break into the Urban Fantasy scene. It wasn't awful, but I haven't gained anything by reading it, I have no sense of "oh my god, I must read the next book in the series", it was just... meh.

Merit has many of the characteristics that we expect from our UF heroines; she's strong-willed, sarcastic, independent and completely horny for mr supernatural. But... like I said, she's everything we expect and nothing unique that separates her from a hundred other twenty-something-year-old female protagonists. I will forget her by the time I pick up my next book. She doesn't have the quirky, fun and deeply-explored personality of Mac from the Fever series... she doesn't have the whole sexual tension is so thick you can practically see it in the air between her and her beau like Cat from the Night Huntress series. The characters can always make or break a book, Chloe Neill could have saved her novel from being the mirror image of all the others if she'd just taken the time to develop a protagonist that we haven't seen before.

And as for that aforementioned beau: if you're writing an urban fantasy or paranormal romance novel and you want to create the perfect mr sexy, what don't you do? I'll tell you - you most definitely do not try and replicate a current mr sexy who you were never going to be able to compete with. So why the hell did Ms Neill produce a tall, powerful, blond-haired vamp? Charlaine Harris has already claimed him! You know you want to look ;)

So, I think it's fair to say the start to this series was rather underwhelming... where the bloody hell is KMM when you need her? Sorry, distracted again, basically I'm going to leave the rest of the Chicagoland Vampires books, one disappointment was quite enough.
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Bite.

05/09/2011 page 79

Mira love this series!

Tatiana Well said, Emily.

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "Well said, Emily.

And of course I had to look up Eric:) A lot can be said about the declining quality of Sookie books, but there is no denying their originality."

Yes, and to be fair they didn't actually start declining until about book 8, whereas this just never took off. And, of course, Eric makes it all worthwhile :)

Emily Great review Emily! I really agree that PNR/Urban Fantasy has gone downhill lately - may I suggest trying Anne Bishop's Written in Red? It's awesome! :)

Emily oops! I see you're currently reading it!! hahaha - never mind then ;)

Emily May LOL, thank you! I'm really enjoying it :D

message 7: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia I am in agreement about the Fever Series (which IS the best!) and about the decline in the Sookie Stackhouse Series. I haven't read this series (might never -yes because of this review! haha), which series can you recommend than? I loved Kate Danials, Immortals After Dark as well. Though BDB (but some ARE good) and Breeds, not so much.

Emily May To be honest, I haven't really found anything that can compete with the Fever series :( However, I did really enjoy Frost's series, starting with Halfway to the Grave - have you read that?

message 9: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia I love the Cat & Bones / The Grave Series! (on my phone, so I won't look it up now)
I also like the anthologies and World Series as well. BUT the last 2-3 books (with cat)... Not so much, the quality has really fallen!

message 10: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia I read Angelfall and Daugther of Smoke and Bones (I believe you've read them), they are also quite good.
The Highlander Series by Moning is (/supposed to be) in the same world as Feber, but isn't especially good in my opinion.

Emily May You're right, the quality has fallen. I think this is mostly due to the lack of upheaval and angst in Cat & Bones relationship in the later books. They have finally gotten over their issues and decided they're perfect for one another - good for them, but not so great for us :D

I tried the Highlander series too and it just wasn't what I was hoping :( But yes, I love Angelfall and DOSAB. Have you read Sins & Needles? I thought that was really good!

message 12: by Celia (last edited Apr 07, 2013 01:09PM) (new) - added it

Celia Emily wrote: "You're right, the quality has fallen. I think this is mostly due to the lack of upheaval and angst in Cat & Bones relationship in the later books. They have finally gotten over their issues and dec..."

So happy you're saying that! I have S&N on my next-up list! I was suppose to read it last week, but didn't come around to it.

Do you really suppose it's the drama between C&B? I am not into "dramas" (melodrama, soaps (teens ones especially not) etc.) I'm more into Real Life Drama in books, if you feel me?
It's as though Cat & Bones are now together, like Ken & Barbie are - it just is - now let's play! It doesn't feel like a real relationship, more like a pairing. And the stories are creative, but it doesn't flow well. It's like a Vampire Dairy episode: lots of things happen, very addicive, but in the end nothing of it is really important and you realize that it's a filler/arch (manga/anime lingo here! hehe).

Emily May I see what you mean and I agree that it does feel like pointless filler. But I think, for me, that's because the main point of the series - their relationship - has been given resolution. Everything beyond that is just unnecessarily stretching the series out so Frost can fit more books into it, in my opinion.

message 14: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia perhaps their series should be wrapped up, and have them appear in the Huntress World series so we can still follow them.

Thanks for the talk ;)

message 15: by I'm Booked (new) - added it

I'm Booked Thanks for your review Emily May; You just saved me some time and money!

I agree with you about the Fever Series. I can't wait for the next in the series! Is there another book or series that you would recommend?

Emily May Thank you :) Have you tried Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane? I love that series!

message 17: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah (A French Girl) Thank You for this review! It perfectly mirrored my thoughts. However, personally I hated Some Girls Bites. I was a tad more detailed and critical in my own review, lol. The main problem I had with this book I think is Merit. I felt absolutly no connection to her. I couldn't even bring myself to care for what would happen to her.

message 18: by Marvelous Morgan (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:41PM) (new)

Marvelous Morgan Thanks for your review! Might not read this one now I was looking for something different like, Written in RedWritten in Red by Anne Bishop. Will probably some of your recommendations they looked good! :) Oh and check out the, First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones and Moon Called by Patricia Briggs...Those are 2 of my favorite urban-fantasy books and no one mentioned them.

Anastasia I agree, this book was so boring I literally fell asleep a few times.

message 20: by Jean (new)

Jean I agree with Fever series!