Scott's Reviews > The Pale King

M_50x66
May 10, 11

Recommended for: David Foster Wallace fans who have read Infinite Jest
Read from April 08 to May 09, 2011 — I own a copy

If you read Infinite Jest and want to read an unfinished Wallace novel, read this. It's unfinished so don't read it and base your opinion of Wallace on this one book. Infinite Jest is the book to read if you want to know what DFW is capable of.

All that said, I enjoyed the book and even found it very funny at times. I also found it hard to ignore that it will never be completed. The unfinished novel is about 500 pages but it seems like it's just getting started when you turn the last page. David Foster Wallace referred to this book as the long one and it's easy to see that it could have been a 1500 page book if he had the opportunity to complete it. I am glad I read it, but of course it's sad to finish the book knowing that the book ended only because the author who put so much of himself and ourselves into Infinite Jest took his own life and lost his long battle with the terrible illness depression.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pale King.

04/09/2011 page 53
10.0% "On page 53 and thankful to Micheal Pietsch for compiling and editing this unfinished work."